An artificial sponge will save the oceans from oil spillsOn 2017-02-06 by Vivan Austin
Researchers at the National Argonne Laboratory have developed a new type of industrial sponge. The substance is destined for a very effective collection of oil stains from the surface of the oceans, leaking from damaged tankers.
Tankers are the most common, and at the same time the best method of transporting crude oil, as they take millions of liters on board. Unfortunately, this is not the safest method. Tankers may be damaged by a storm or collision with another ship. Then, from the damaged tanks, an oily substance poisoning the water and endangering the lives of fish and birds is poured out.
Of course, there are methods of collecting spilled oil, but they are not perfect and usually allow you to collect it only from the surface of the water itself. By contrast, the collected substance is no longer suitable for anything afterwards.
Argonne scientists working on behalf of the Department of Energy have developed a special sponge called Oleo Sponge, which in such situations can be very helpful. First of all, because it is much more effective than the solutions used so far and can quickly pick up oil stains. Secondly, the oil absorbed by it, after being squeezed, can be reused.
Related Posts :
- Some Handy Tips On Sensible Best Wireless Earbuds Keys - 2017-06-15
- American aircraft carrier Forrestal sold for 1 cent - 2017-05-02
- Denmark is the largest producer of wind energy - 2017-04-26
- The humiliating defeat of Motorola in the fight against Microsoft - 2017-04-20
- Innovative overalls will survive in cold water - 2017-04-10
- An autonomous boat sailing across the Atlantic - 2017-03-26
- Driving license in smartphone - 2017-03-23
- Intelligent Pirelli tires - 2017-03-16
- Antidrust regulations come into force - 2017-02-17
- An artificial sponge will save the oceans from oil spills - 2017-02-06